The question is: Do you stick with the classic water heater or do you upgrade to one of the new tankless units? These state-of-the-art systems have been spiking in popularity throughout the last decade, and for good reason. We wanted to cover how these new products work, and why you should consider a tankless water heater in your Birmingham, AL home.
How do Tankless Water Heaters Work?
Tankless water heaters heat water on demand, instead of continuously heating water throughout an entire tank. They achieve this by running a cold water line into the unit, and rapidly heating the water which is then transported to the necessary faucet. This type of heating system is much more efficient than the constant energy used to heat a tank unit.
There are several types of these new systems, from gas units and electric water heaters to smaller ones that only heat water going to a single faucet. Gas tankless water heaters are divided into two categories, non-condensing, which is more affordable but requires ventilation, and condensing, which is much more energy efficient and doesn’t require an exhaust system.
Benefits of Installing a Tankless Water Heater
- Immediate Hot Water – Regular water heaters can take some time to provide hot water, but a tankless unit will provide the heat you need the instant you need it.
- Energy Efficient – When you install a gas or electric tankless water heater, you will notice an immediate difference in your energy bills. Because a tankless water heater only runs when it is needed, you are not seeing a steady burn on the monthly bills.
- Unlimited Hot Water – Unlike water in a tank, which can eventually get cold, your tankless system will provide indefinite heat. That means you don’t have to worry about your shower becoming an ice bath at random intervals.
- Durability – Tankless water heaters last for up to 20 years, meaning you will be able to replace them half as often as your run-of-the-mill water heater.
- Compact Size – Removing a giant tank from your home can open up some storage space, and because of their compact size, tankless water heaters are perfect for smaller homes.
Get Top Tier Water Heater Maintenance
Ensure you get the tankless water heater maintenance and installation that you need by contacting Wilbur’s Air Conditioning, Heating & Plumbing. We highly recommend you trust the installation process with one of our experienced plumbing professionals to ensure that you get the hot water you need as soon as possible. Get the water heater your home deserves, and watch the savings roll in each month.